What is a video CV?
A video CV is a convenient and modern resume format that allows a candidate to showcase their abilities beyond the capabilities of a traditional paper CV or resume. The video CV helps a prospective employer to see and hear applicants, and to get a feeling of how applicants present themselves. The traditional paper CV alone cannot give a recruiter a complete picture, but together with a video CV a candidate has the opportunity to make an effective self-presentation, helping one to highlight their advantages. This makes evaluation of a candidate easier and more interesting.
How can I share my video CV with a prospective employer?
Soon a link to your video CV will be sent to your email which can be sent to the employer via email, social media or insert the link into your actual CV, profile or cover letter.
Who can see my video CV?
When you’re recording only you see it. Once created, only the employer to whom you have sent the video CV has access to it. We guarantee your privacy.
For how long is the video CV link valid?
The link to your video CV will be available as long as you want to utilize it.
How can I make my video CV attractive for employers?
When receiving a video CV companies usually evaluate soft skills and hard skills. HR managers usually look for people who can become their colleagues. They are expecting that a candidate can think structurally, logically construct their speech, speak clearly and to the point. A perfect candidate is a person who knows what he/she wants and what they can bring to the company.
How should I prepare?
Rehearse your answers.
At least be able to put more information into 3 minutes. More often that's the approximate time that a recruiter gives for an answer. Record your answers and see what moments you don’t like, and what you need to change and say differently.
Learn more about the company.
This is classical. Go through a company’ website, learn about a company’s field and see what they do, etc. There’s nothing new here.
Choose a suitable place.
Don’t do it on your bed or in a noisy cafe. When a recruiter watches your response he or she will hear the noise from a coffee machine and people milling about. Also, get rid of your dog/cat/bird during the interview so that your answers are not acquainted with bow-bow or meow meow - that’s cute, but irrelevant. Sit in a silent spot and start.
Dress up as for a usual office interview. No suits or cufflinks - white shirt and a nice haircut is enough. Your pijamas won’t work well.
On what devices can I record a video CV?
Computers and laptops with camera and microphone; iPhone 4 and above; iPad 2 and above; smartphones and tablets running Android 4.0 and above. To record a video CV using your smartphone or tablet, install the free app on your device.
Video is recorded without sound or image
If you’re viewing a response recorded from a PC that does not play sound and/or picture, then please use a different browser and check the hardware using another application (Skype, etc)
We recommend using an updated version of Google Chrome, Firefox or Yandex browser. The system will allow you to begin recording video answers for questions that are not yet answered.
Can't see any image from the camera (there’s a black rectangle, stripes, a strange logo, etc.)?
Then follow these steps:
1) If you’re using Google Chrome, then allow it to access the camera via the request in the form of a gray bar on top.
2) If the camera is external, physically turn it off and on again. Then restart the browser.
3) Processing of the image can be blocked by Skype or any other application responsible for the camera:Close Skype completely, including the icon in the lower right corner of the screen.Close or pause all system programs related to the camera or microphone.Close other browsers and other tabs in the current browser if they are open.
4) If closing applications does not help, try restarting your computer.
5) Use a different browser.
Circular sound check indicator is not filled.
You either have a faulty microphone, or the sound is not reaching the browser.
You can try the following options:
1) If using Google Chrome, then give it microphone access via the request in the form of a gray bar on top.
2) If the microphone is external, then physically disconnect and re-enable. Next, restart the browser.
3) The sound can be blocked by Skype or any other application that uses the microphone
Close Skype completely, including the icon in the lower right corner of the screen.Close or pause all system programs related to the camera or microphone. On laptops it often happens that the pre-installed software for the camera/microphone can interfere.Close other browsers and other tabs in the current browser if open.
4) If closing applications does not help, then try restarting your computer.
5) Use a different browser.
The system takes way too long to save my answer?
If you’ve already answered the question and are waiting a long time to save it, then most likely there were problems with the Internet connection. Unfortunately, this answer will not be saved. Refresh the page and move to the next question. You can give two answers in the next question. Don’t worry, the employer will evaluate you on the video interview as a whole.
After recording is finished the indicator shows the words: "Save recording," but nothing happens?
Try the following:
1) Wait. If the Internet is slow and the recording takes too long, then saving will take time. With a good Internet connection it takes up to 10 seconds. If the Internet is slow, then it could be up to several minutes.
2) If the wait is too long, then you should reload the page, allow access again, skip the test recording, and continue recording from the question you were on.